Founded in 1911, NIVEA is the world’s most recognized skin care brand. It is a trusted brand with Care, Trust, Love and Belonging as core brand values. NIVEA offers compelling, innovative products based on strong consumer needs. Founded on years of research, NIVEA focuses on the structure and function of the skin searching for new ways to support beautiful, healthy looking skin.
In India, Interface is a leading agency with professionals across Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Kolkata. The business philosophy that drives Interface is – “Success achieved through partnership and trust. Partnership with our clients. Partnership with each other in the agency. Partnership between management and creative.” The agency goal is – “To help our clients’ businesses succeed. Because if they succeed, we succeed.”. Interface offers the full range of media services, with specialized divisions handling each of the following functional areas: Advertising, PR Services, Direct, Films, Events, Healthcare, Design, Media, and Interactive.
Dire state of underprivileged Indian families
Several families in urban India lack resources or means to educate their children. These children are at the risk of becoming victims of child labor, crime, etc. that will impact their future lives. The few who get a chance to go to school, abandon their studies mid-way to lend a feeding hand to their families.
The inspiring mothers
Despite dire struggles like meagre or no income and large families to feed, there are mothers who harbor big dreams for their children. These mothers go through extreme personal sacrifices just to send their children to school so that their dreams can see the light of the day. They exemplify love, care and sacrifice even in the most difficult conditions.
The task at hand:
- To recognize and reward the sacrifices of moms who create a positive impact on their children’s education
- To create positive impact on children’s attendance levels in school and mothers’ involvement in helping their kids
- To get the public to understand and appreciate the efforts and sacrifices of underprivileged mothers
To meet the goals, NIVEA India launched a recognition programme, ‘Mom’s Touch’, in affiliation with its NGO partner, ASEEMA. Discussion with the mothers of kids in Aseema schools revealed that while the mothers were really grateful for any kind of help they could get, their faces truly lit up when their kids had something nice to say about their efforts. It was observed that their sacrifices often went unnoticed and it was rare that they were appreciated.
And therefore, the insight that led to the Idea:
“The real strength for mothers to keep going on and keep sacrificing is not something materialistic, but a simple word of gratitude and appreciation from their kids for all the sacrifices they go through.”
The idea was brought alive through a Mom’s Touch Recognition Programme:
- RECOGNIZE & HELP: Salute and felicitate the efforts and sacrifices of mothers who send their children to school every day and help them by rewarding them with monthly groceries.
Students with 100% attendance in Aseema schools were selected for the event and their mothers were felicitated. The program was extended to all the 3 schools of Aseema and to Ahmedabad in association with Saath Charitable Trust. 400 mothers of children in Aseema schools and 90 mothers from Ahmedabad were felicitated.
NIVEA supported the mothers’ endeavor to send their children to school by providing monthly groceries so that the children would not be forced to drop out to earn for the family.
- INSPIRE: Spread the ‘Mom’s Touch’ Video on digital medium as a means to reach out to and inspire many more mothers.
Real inspiring stories of sacrifices were called for from the underprivileged children of Aseema schools (they wrote their stories in English and showcased that they are as competent and proficient as other kids). These were then recorded (in Hindi) and developed into a digital video to let the mothers know how much their children valued their sacrifices and how special they are.
The video was promoted on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and NIVEA India Website to attract attention to the inspiring stories and thus, spread awareness about the cause.
- 25 % increase in the attendance of students after just one month of program launch
- 35% increase in parents’ involvement in PTA meetings other workshops
- Overall improvement in the academic performance of the students
- Improved confidence among moms
Digital campaign results
- Nearly 1 million views across various digital platforms
- 9,359 conversations on Twitter
- AV was featured on various renowned websites such as Indiatimes.com, ndtv.com, huffingtonpost.com, Dainik Bhaskar
- The video was also appreciated on popular social pages such as Scoopwhoop, popxodaily, idiva, buzzfeed and many more
- NIVEA’s CSR campaign was featured among the best CSR campaigns on social media and was also among the ‘Top 16 best digital marketing campaigns for Q3 2015′
- Got a lot of earned media on popular websites including Campaign India page and Adage site
- Improved Word Cloud for NIVEA India
- Generated maximum mentions for NIVEA India
Mom’s Touch successfully reinforced ‘CARE’ as the core value of NIVEA. The campaign went viral with over a million views and thousands of conversations on digital media.
The campaign garnered a lot of positive response from consumers as well as media; the brand became a torch bearer of positivity and empathy.