They say India is a very funny country without a sense of humour. But if you are a regular on the nation’s most preferred online townsquare – Twitter – you would agree that’s not true at all. Indian Twitterati are a hilarious lot, always looking at the lighter side of things. To add to it, there is a growing breed of Twitter comedians for whom making jokes at the expense of actors, politicians and celebrities is all in a day’s job.
This year – 2014 – has seen a heavy dose of laughter on Twitter, what with the rundown to the Lok Sabha elections and the many funny Twitter trends we witnessed throughout the year.
Here’s a collection of the funniest Twitter India trends of 2014:
1. Actor Alok Nath stereotyped as the Bollywood babuji becomes a Twitter favourite after a few of his movies are shown back to back on New Year weekend
The only two wars Alok Nath has seen in his life are Haridwar and Pariwar.
— Akshar (@AksharPathak) December 29, 2013
Alok Nath’s WhatsApp shows : “Last seen doing Kanyadaan at”
— Sir Ravindra Jadeja (@SirJadeja) December 30, 2013
2. Actor Neil Nitin Mukesh had a seriously funny birthday this year, by virtue of his name that sounds like three first names
|Phone rings| -Hello Sir ek naya scheme hai, may I know who’s speaking ? -Neil Nitin Mukesh. -Ok Sir, kisi ek se baat karva do please. — José Covaco (@HoeZaay) January 14, 2014
You can claim a hat trick after taking wicket of Neil Nitin Mukesh . — Idiot 420 (@idiot_420) January 14, 2014
3. Actress Yami Gautam is at the receiving end for endorsing a fairness cream
Masterji: Raju, tumhare daant to Yami Gautam jaise chamak rahein hain.. Raju: Kyun na ho, Masterji! Fair & Lovely se jo brush karta hoon! — Keh Ke Peheno (@coolfunnytshirt) March 30, 2014
Scientists are studying Yami Gautam for she can produce white light without any external power source. — Bakwas deGrass Tyson (@BakwasRadio) March 30, 2014
4. CBSE topper Sarthak Agarwal scores 99.6% only to become the next Indian meme star
Dettol: I kill 99% of germs Sarthak Agarwal: I scored 99.6% in CBSE exams Lifebuoy: Bitches shut up I kill 99.99% germs. So I’m topper here — Sarthak Agarwal (@SarthakAgarwal_) June 5, 2014
5. India’s Mars Orbiter Mangalyaan enters the red planet and this is what happens on Earth
6. When Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi decides to give his first interview in 10 years to Times Now Editor Arnab Goswami
7. When he speaks about the idea of Congress at the AICC meet, but can’t help inspiring more jokes
“Two things are infinite: the universe and Rahul Gandhi’s stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” – Albert Einstein — Ra_Bies (@Ra_Bies) January 17, 2014
Rahul Gandhi is the only stand-up who doesn’t have to tweet about his shows 26 times a day and still gets amazing viewership and feedback. — Hardik Rajgor (@Hardism) January 17, 2014
8. Flipkart’s Big Billion Day sale may have been termed a success but it was the butt of jokes on Twitter
The Flipkart Big billion sale ended at 8:05 a.m. Thanks for coming. — Gabbbarsingh (@GabbbarSingh) October 6, 2014
9. When Congress Spokesperson Shashi Tharoor was sacked for excessively praising the opposition
Shashi Tharoor removed as Congress spokesperson. Arnab Goswami however, shall continue as the nation’s interruptperson. — Ramesh Srivats (@rameshsrivats) October 13, 2014
10. Twitter users invent the funniest #CelebCrackers this Diwali
11. When Congress spokesperson Americai Narayanan was asked if there was corruption in the UPA, and he responds with ‘Hell Yeah’
12. When Inception Director Christopher Nolan was to visit IIT Mumbai, but the joke was on us. IIT M called it off later
Christopher Nolan is coming to IIT Mumbai is coming to Christopher Nolan is coming to IIT Mumbai is coming to Christopher Nolan is coming… — ROFL Indian (@Roflindian) October 27, 2014
Christopher Nolan lands in Mumbai, drives out of the airport, and realises that 5 min in Andheri traffic equals 3 hours of real time. — E-tard (@14_yr_old_Etard) October 28, 2014
13. When Robert Vadra is questioned on his controversial land deals and he responds with a ‘Are you serious?’ to the journalist
14. Sachin Tendulkar’s autobiography describes ex-coach Greg Chappell as a ‘ringmaster’ and everybody joins in
Ashutosh: Greg Chappell came to me & told me to replace Kejriwal as Delhi’s CM candidate… & then i don’t know why he laughed out loudly! — Keh Ke Peheno (@coolfunnytshirt) November 4, 2014
Greg chappell tried to finish my samosey ~ nitin gadkari — मोहित (@MohitParmarr) November 4, 2014
15. When Rohit Sharma made cricketing history with 264 runs against Sri Lanka
— Babaji Ka Thullu (@BabajiKaThullu4) November 13, 2014
16. What Narendra Modi Said To President Putin?
— ari (@arindambhattac9) December 11, 2014
What Modi and Putin actually discussed pic.twitter.com/eBJHYwz4s9
— Gappistan Radio (@GappistanRadio) December 11, 2014
Don’t enjoy alone, share the laughter!