Listing some of the selected stories of Indian social media from social media news to campaigns and interviews from the week – 22nd July – 27th July 2013.
Social Media News
1. Author Ruskin Bond Will Guest Blog For Parle G’s The Future Genius: Parle G’s social media campaign to help bond better with target consumers has roped in author Ruskin Bond as a guest blogger for their flagship microsite ‘The Future Genius.’ Read more here.
2. Facebook For Every Phone Reaches 100 Million. Acceptance In India, Indonesia And Philippines: The Facebook project– “Facebook For Every Phone” has announced that there are now more than 100 million people using the technology and getting accustomed to the world of social network. Read more here.
3. #AditiRestaurant Trends On Twitter After Congress Men Shut Down The Restaurant In Mumbai: Unable to swallow the ‘insult’ after Aditi Restaurant prints bills with a note slamming UPA government, Youth Congress supporters force it to shut down. The offline incident catches fire on Twitter with #AditiRestaurant. Read more here.
4. Zomato Adds Five New International Locations. Goes Social Through A Major Site Upgrade: Zomato has added five new international cities across three countries. Besides this the portal has done a major upgrade to its site making it more social and user driven. Read more here.
5. Facebook Commerce Startup SellMojo Ties Up With Facebook India To Provide Facebook Marketing Programs: SellMojo which wishes to help SMEs set up stores on Facebook tied up with Facebook India to bring all the benefits of Facebook Marketing to businesses. Read more here.
6. Independent MP, Rajeev Chandrasekhar Launches A.S.K. (Ask Seek Know) Where You Can Question The Government: Independent MP, Rajeev Chandrasekhar has launched A.S.K. (Ask Seek Know), an initiative where citizens can send their questions to the government, by sending them to Rajeev. Read more here.
7. Messaging App Line In India Crosses 5M Users In Just Three Weeks: Line backed by Line Corp a unit of South Korea’s biggest Internet search provider NHN Corp has announced that it has grabbed 5 million Indian users in a matter of three weeks. Read more here.
8. Facebook’s Q2 2013: 1.15 Billion Monthly Active Users, 699 Million Daily Active Users And 819 Mobile Monthly Active Users: According to Facebook Q2 2013 results, web has 699 million daily active users,1.15 billion monthly active users and 819 million MAUs and 469 million DAUs. Read more here.
9. LinkedIn Launches Sponsored Updates For Brands. HCL Technologies One of the Selected Partners: LinkedIn boasts of having 225 million global users has recently announced that it is expanding its content ecosystem with the launch of Sponsored Updates. Read more here.
10. Aircel Partners With Wikimedia Foundation To Offer Free Mobile Wikipedia Access Through Wikipedia Zero: Aircel has partnered Wikimedia Foundation wherein Aircel customers can now access Wikipedia on mobile phones without any data charges. Read more here.
11. Congress Politician Raj Babbar Says That You Can Get Full Meals For Rs 12 In Mumbai. Twitter Backlash Follows: Congress poltician once again caught in controversy. This time it is Raj Babbar who stated that with Rs. 12 you can have full meals in Mumbai. The much required backlash on Twitter followed soon. Read more here.
12. Users From India, Brazil Fuel Facebook’s Growth On Web And Mobile For Q2 2013: During the Q2 2013 filing at the US Securities and Exchange Commission Facebook stated that countries like India, Brazil are propelling the active users count to 1.15 billion. Read more here.
Social Media Campaigns
1. Star Movies India Celebrates The Bourne Festival On Social Media Prior To The TV Premiere: To promote the Bourne Movie Festival, Star Movies India along with other mediums has been aggressively promoting it on social media too. Read more here.
2. Videocon D2h Hunts For Real Bollywood Fans Via The Asli Picture On Facebook: A review of ‘The Asli Picture’, a Facebook contest by D2H provider, Videocon D2h, where fans are tested for their Bollywood knowledge and stand a chance to win autographed set top boxes. Read more here.
3. Shoppers Stop Engages With #TwitterAuction. Not The World’s First As Claimed: A review of Shopper Stop’s Twitter campaign using the hashtag #TwitterAuction, where one can tweet to bid for the product, with the highest bidder winning gift vouchers of the same value. Read more here.
4. SET Max Goes Social For Aashiqui 2 World Television Premiere: A review of the social media promotions for Aashiqui 2 world television premiere on SET Max with Facebook apps, where fans can upload couple pics to be aired during the telecast. Read more here.
5. Fox Star Studios India Promotes The Wolverine With A Twitter Fight #IamTheWolverine: Fox Star India Studios promote the sixth instalment in the X-Men film series ‘The Wolverine’ featuring Hugh Jackman promote on social media via a Twitter fight. Read more here.
Social Media Apps
1. Gain New Fans For Your Facebook Page Through LikeKaro’s ‘Like Gating’ Concept: LikeKaro acts as an application which will restrict the non fans to ‘like’ your page at first before they view your content (an article/ video or any free resource shared). Read more here.
1. Indian Television Shows With Cool Social Media Campaigns: A look at four Indian television shows that leveraged the power of social media to create a buzz in the online world even prior to the show’s launch, using Facebook, Twitter and other social media channels. Read more here.
2. Colgate Masters both Facebook and YouTube While Oral-B Takes Custody Over Twitter [Unmetric Report]: Guest post by Peter from Unmetric where he compares the social media strategy for networks like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube for various Indian tooth paste brands. Read more here.