Incorporated as Dell Computer India Private Ltd. in Bangalore in 1996, Dell has been among the fastest growing technology companies in India and continues to be among the top three today. Customers throughout India in large enterprises, small and medium businesses, at home and in government organizations choose Dell to be their trusted technology solutions partner. We support customers through sales and marketing, customer contact centres, research and development (R&D), IT, manufacturing and services offices in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chandigarh, Delhi, Pune, Coimbatore, Noida and Chennai.
1. Decoding a complex buyer journey is difficult
According to the traditional buyer journey, the 4 major steps are awareness, consideration, purchase & evaluation. We’ve moved past that. The buyer journey is no more a straight-forward journey. It’s more circular and complex in today’s day & age, thanks to new-age marketing platforms such as social media and e-tailers.
There is constant consideration and evaluation that goes on until the point of time the consumer decides to purchase the product. This makes it extremely important to tap into the buyer journey at the moment of purchase, as that is usually when the consumer selects the brand.
Reaching the consumer at this precise moment is something that can help drive sales in a very real and tangible way.
2. It’s almost impossible to measure how online activities translate into offline sales
The correlation between search and sales has been difficult to quantify for marketers. This makes it challenging to identify the right Search strategies in order to achieve maximum efficacy, calling for more effective media spends allocation. With a deeper understanding of how SEM impacts sales, a brand can understand and quantify the ROI on its SEM campaigns, allowing for more streamlined strategies and tactics.
90% of users use their smartphones in stores while shopping
Price comparisons — 54%
Looking up online for product information — 48%
Checking reviews online — 42%
(Source: Mobile Loyalty firm SessionM)
In our quest to decode the buyer journey and tap into the stage when the buyer picks the brand, keeping in mind the insight that most potential customers use their phones in stores while shopping, we decided to go hyper-local and target the buyers in-store through strategic search & Facebook targeting.
- Targeting maximum search volumes in hyper local areas (Shopping Malls, and Tech Distributors) in top search query cities i.e New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata.
- Display perfect “Call to Actions” for all users on the go, to generate higher CTRs further increasing conversion ratio on Mobile and Tablets as compared to Desktops.
Our big idea:
Capture the ‘i-want-to-buy’ moments of in-store shoppers
- Shopping Malls, and Tech Distributors with a radius of 1 Km were targeted in top search query cities, i.e. New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Kolkata.
- The ads were targeted to users using strategic filters such as By Campaign name, In Radius (in kms), To Locations, With Bid Modifier and At Time of the
- “Call to Actions” were kept 100% mobile friendly by introducing site-links, i.e. ( A. Driving Direction, B. Get Directions, C. Click to Call )
- Due to a higher presence of users on Facebook mobile, it was utilized as a display platform, with CTA “Get Directions”.
- The whole campaign was optimized to increase Retail Driven actions of the user, i.e. Get Directions.
How we matched ads to geographic locations:
We used the IP address of the mobile device to determine the user’s physical location. We detected the device location when users had enabled precise location sharing on a mobile device using either GPS, Wi-Fi or Google’s cell ID location database.
Accuracy of precise location targeting:
If Adwords was unable to detect precise location of user, ads were not served.
- Unique reach on Google was as much as 1.85L, and the reach on Facebook was a whopping 8.75L!
- Out of total audiences reached, 8.42% showed interest in the offer and 0.96% took Retail Driven Actions, setting benchmarks in hyper-local digital marketing.
- Due to multiple site-links, 8.42% of the audience reached, acted on the advertisement displayed. This showcases the effectiveness of reaching out to consumers at the right moment with the right messaging.
- With over 6L impressions, we were able to generate as much as 0.83% call leads! This had a visible impact on the sales, a tangible achievement of our strategic objectives.
Since social media cannot capture the leads and share the contact details of the person who has showed interest for exchange offer, we have measured the effectiveness of the online campaign through the walk-in of the stores against the average walk-in & Sellout. Overall, the campaign has reached to our target audience and created awareness about the exchange offer. In future, we can look at making a separate landing page for the campaign.