Social media is a medium for promotions too and Bollywood celebrities are trying to reap from both hands. While having a huge fan following especially on Twitter, most Bollywood celebrities now have a separate plan for endorsing brands on social media too. This activity is being followed by most of the celebrities.
According to a story at Firstpost, a study of tweets of Bollywood stars by social media analytics firm To The New reveals that around 9% of discussions on Twitter by celebrities are based around promoting their own brands. The report further says that Bollywood actress Sonam Kapoor who has 3M followers on the network leads the race with 48% of her tweets related to brand promotions.
— Sonam Kapoor (@sonamakapoor) December 7, 2013
Some more interesting facts highlighted in the report are listed below:
1. Amitabh Bachchan, who has the largest number of followers on Twitter (7M+), also uses the platform to promote brands and about 4% of his tweets are related to brands.
— @ABJBDevotee (@ABJBDevotee) December 10, 2013
2. Salman Khan used 11% of his tweets for promoting brands, while his contemporary Shahrukh Khan did it only for 2%. Hrithik Roshan, who was last seen in the superhero film ‘Krrish 3’, did it for 7% of his tweets, Deepika Padukone 5% and Priyanka Chopra 3%.
3. Aamir Khan is missing out from the report as he was away from the platform for most of the year.
4. The majority of conversations, around 27%, that Bollywood celebrities indulge in are about promoting their work or films.
5. About 24% of tweets are contributed towards personal experiences or interactions with their fan base.
6. Only 4% of their tweets are related to social causes.
It seems Twitter serves as a convenient platform for celebrities where they can not only interact with their fans directly, but also talk about their movies and the brands they endorse.
Image credit: designtaxi.com