1. How British catalog retailer Boden transitioned to the digital world: The last piece of Boden’s business model to go digital was what the British retailer started with: a print catalog. Boden now plans to bring that onboard its e-commerce site, a move that reflects the company’s sales, which are 90 percent online. Without any physical stores, digital is vital as the retailer moves into the US: it’s leveraging original content, techy online features and an authentic social presence to boost its brand.
2. Volvo New Beginning with Avicii and Audra Mae: Volvo Cars is working with mega-DJ and producer Avicii to run “A New Beginning”, a 4 minute music video celebrating their shared Swedish heritage. The latest chapter in Volvo’s “Made by Sweden” campaign kicks off with a 4-minute music video set to Avicii’s reworking of Nina Simone’s 1964 anthem “Feeling Good,” created specifically for the project.
3. Big Lots plays catch up on social media with puppies and babies: A year and a half ago, big-box discounter Big Lots didn’t think much about social media. Now, the company is playing catch up. For its latest digital video campaign, with ad agency O’Keefe Reinhard & Paul (OKRP), Big Lots took a reasonably safe path to shareable Internet eye-candy by recruiting babies and puppies.
4. Nissan To Award Altima To The Winner Of Its #AltimaChaseSweeps Social Scavenger Hunt: A couple weeks ago, Nissan gave several people the ride of their lives. It’s part of the brand’s #RideOfYourLife campaign which kicked off last year and takes unsuspecting Mall shoppers on a joyride with a professional driver.
This year, Nissan has added a social media-based scavenger hunt into the mix. Called “The Altima Chase,” the hunt kicked off with another video that has a car thief steal a Nissan Altima from the very glass box from which the vehicle was revealed to the Mall patrons for the joyride portion of the campaign.
5. WWF Endangered Emoji: WWF has launched “Endangered Emoji”, an emoji-based fundraising campaign timed to coincide with Endangered Species Day on Friday 15 May. The campaign #EndangeredEmoji, run through the official @WWF Twitter account and at endangeredemoji.com, was sparked by the discovery that 17 characters in the emoji alphabet represent endangered species.
6. Chili’s Tweaks Its Food to Look Better on Instagram: Chilli’s Grill & Bar, catering to the Instagram crowd, revamped the look of its dishes to make them look better on social media.