The 2014 FIFA World Cup is going to see a winner this weekend. While there has been a tremendous excitement on the ground, the online world has been buzzing in the same spirit. The first semifinal in which the hosts Brazil had to face a shameful defeat against Germany is already the most tweeted sport on Twitter with 35.6 million tweets made during the game.
India may not have qualified for the sporting event but the support from the country has been no less and social media is proof. Indians have been tremendously active from the early part of the games. To support this claim we have an insightful visual data report shared by TO THE NEW, Asia’s leading digital solutions network.
The report has been powered by ThoughtBuzz, the social media analytics’ arm of the company which has monitored the social media buzz (globally and India) generated from June 1- June 23, 2014.
1. 1.8 million total mentions which includes tweets, news coverage, blogposts and forum posts
2. Indians shared about players scoring goals and team performance
3. 78% males were most active compared to females.Women either shared or re-tweeted wining posts of the games
4. 25-40 years age group show keen interest for the games followed by the less than 25 years
5. Messi is the most discussed player globally as well as in India
6. Brazil is the most discussed team followed by France, Argentina, Spain and Italy
7. Indians mostly tweet post match which relate to goal updates, winning team fixtures, match stats and more
8. Late night sleep concerns followed by office work are the biggest concern for Indians
9. Sony as a brand leads in the discussion across India with respect to FIFA 2014
10.Most brands got a boost in conversations after the games started except EA sports
11. Sony Six is the most discussed sports channel followed by ESPN and Star sports
12.#fifa2014 remains the most used hashtag
13. Brazil VS Croatia and Spain VS Netherlands were the most discussed matches