Yesterday, we shared Facebook 2013 year in review, which listed the top five most mentioned people/event in India on Facebook along with the most checked in places, today it is YouTube’s turn to share some interesting insights. YouTube, world’s largest video social network that witnesses more than 1 billion unique visitors each month has come up with a list of top YouTube ads in 2013 in India as per the YouTube Ads Leaderboard, which ranks the “most engaging” commercial content that people have been watching on the platform.
The top ten most viewed videos in 2013 have been listed below:
1. Dove Real Beauty Sketches (60M views): Released exclusively on YouTube, Dove used an FBI-trained sketch artist to draw women first based on their own self-perception and then based on that of a stranger. The aim of the film is to show women that they are more beautiful than they think they are by comparing self-descriptions to those of strangers. The film created a sensation upon its online release in April 2013, quickly going viral. More than 15 million people downloaded the video within a week of its release. The video tops the charts of Indian viewers.
2. Lifebuoy help a child reach 5 (16M views): “What’s the big deal on turning five years old?” you would say, but not after having watched the real deal of surviving till the age of five. Every year, two million children under five die of infections like diarrhoea and pneumonia. Lifebuoy created a unique social campaign to create awareness on this disturbing statistic about children under 5 years. Within three weeks of its release the video received more than 1.4 million views on YouTube.
3. Kitkat Dancing babies (3M views): The TVC features adorable dancing babies that start drumming and swaying too, while a student takes a Kit Kat break in between his lectures. The clever concept coupled with good animation seems to have worked in Kit Kat’s favour. Ever since the TVC video was uploaded on YouTube on the 17th of January, the numbers have steadily spiked up.
4. Old spice Mantastic Man (2M views): The new Old Spice commercial ‘Mantastic Man’ featured Milind Soman, the country’s first male super model. Seated on a throne in his richly embellished fort, in just a towel and a gold neckpiece that read ‘Man’, Milind talks about how he realized what it takes to be a real man. The campaign has now launched a series of videos in the same direction.
5. Evian baby and me (67M views): After rolling out the “Roller Babies” commercial, which featured roller-skating babies, in 2009 this was the second attempt from Evian and it also became a huge success. The video till date has more than 67M views and it clearly shows the popularity of its content.
6. Kajol’s reaction on Lifebuoy help a child reaches 5 (1M views): In this video Bollywood celebrity Kajol, talks about her experience as a mother and how she feels about the Gandappa story.
7. Ramesh and Suresh ad campaign for Cadbury 5 star (1M views): This is the second in the series of videos on Ramesh and Suresh. The funny duo of Ramesh and Suresh are back and in this video they return home with their father’s pint sized pant.
8. Sony Xperia z (10M views): Sony Xperia Z campaign divulges into real life situations to show the features of the product through the video.
9. Samsung Galaxy S4 (16M views): A completely product driven ad campaign giving viewers a detailed visual info of all the features of the mobile phone.
10. Google Reunion Campaign (10M views): Described as “Partitions divide countries, friendships find a way”, the story has been set against the India-Pakistan partition in 1947. Sparking the term ‘googled’ for ‘finding something on the internet’, the search engine giant forms a reunion of two childhood friends who grew up together in Lahore in undivided India, but separated during the partition.
Speaking about the trends, Google India said that web first campaigns are here to stay and ads with humour, emotions, babies, tech companies rule. So which is your most favourite YouTube ad from the top ten list of 2013.